Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Presidential Assignment

Look at my two guys in red squashing their oldest brother. Don't cha feel sorry for the big guy on the bottom?
Not me!
I was there when Andrew cleaned books & newspapers off the couch so he could spread out upon it & just as he was sitting down, Jacob dived into position.
So Andrew sat on him. Then Caleb brought over some reading materials. Obviously not schoolwork.

Today's newspapers & the TV for it-seems-like forever have been rejoicing over today's "historic event" with the inaguration of a black man. It would be more historic if he were actually an "African American" - descended from slaves rather than being an import. I could actually enjoy the "historic event" if I thought he were a man of character who would bring God's hand of blessing on this nation rather than judgment. I pray that I am wrong & that God will protect His people. PTL God is still on His throne & still answers prayers if we earnestly seek Him. 2 Chronicles 7:14 If My people, who are called by My name, will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Time to get the kids re-focused on the world around them and politics, past awa present.

Compostion assignments for this week are the ones given the the Liberty Writers at our January meeting as homework to be shared with the group at our February meeting:

1. "If I were President of the United States..."
As I said then, "Note that means if you, yourself were president, not if you were the president elect who is being sworn into office" today. I can hear some of them: "I looked into the mirror and realized that my skin was darker! And I was married with kids!"

2. Write a report on a past President of the United States who you know little about.
The group did not sign up for specific presidents so we still may wind up with a number of repeats but hopefully this will challenge students to research their topics rather than writing down everything they remember about Washington, Lincoln or W.

Rachel picked Garfield because she likes the name >think fat orange cat with a 'tude. :-)

I'll keep you posted!

No comments: