Monday, September 28, 2009

Caleb Memory

When I woke him up this morning & told him happy birthday, he did it.

He asked for the story about the day he was born.

I told him that he was born by c-section a week early and was my 2nd biggest baby at 8 pounds 4 ounces. He was taken away to the nursery while I did my time in the recovery room.

I had to stay flat because the meds in the epidural made me sick but when I was settled in my room, I rang for the nurses to bring him to me. Then I waited.

And waited. Way too long I waited. Hours.

Finally I called again & finally they brought this sweet, chubby almost red-haired boy to me. He turned to look at me when he heard me speak.

Then he went to sleep.

"They called you and said you knew me " he said.

"Yes. They came to take you back to the nursery about 11:30 so I could get a good night's sleep but I told the nurse that you'd be wide awake within the hour so she might as well leave you. She just laughed at me and rolled you away."

"But you were right." He grins his sleepy smile.

"Then about 12:30 my phone rang and I could hear you wailing in the background when I answered. The nurse said, "You really know your son. Do you want me to bring him to you?" And I told her, "bring him on."

"You knew I'd wake up." He snickers a little and shakes his head. Surprised that I already knew his middle of the night wide awake habit? Maybe thinking Mom was cool to know him when the nurse thought I would not, to be right about him on the day of his birth?

I reminded him again to get up because after 16 years I also know that he would happily go back to sleep. :-) I ruffled his sleep mussed hair.

Have I mentioned that I love that kid?

1 comment:

Alice said...

happy birthday to caleb! it's hard to believe he's 16 already - lol!